Social and environmental responsibility
Both ENDS is working towards a sustainable future for our planet. We focus on tackling environmental and poverty-related problems and devising alternative solutions. We do this together with strategic networks that also give priority to people and the environment. To achieve our goals, we have set up results-based operational processes that are as sustainable as possible and which we continually aim to improve. For that reason, all our staff must be able to work in a way that has the minimum possible impact on the environment but without compromising the organisation’s effectiveness.
SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE HUMAN RESOURCES POLICY
Both ENDS staff determine the success of the organisation. Our human resources policy focuses on flexibility, diversity, security and motivational supervision. Some key points:
- Both ENDS staff members can influence their own activities and achieve their ambitions through their personal annual plan.
- Both ENDS is co-developer of and signatory to the Partos Code of Conduct. The code was drawn up by members of Partos, the sector association for organisations working in international development.
- If Both ENDS staff encounter improper conduct, they can contact the confidential adviser, as specified in the employment regulations.
- Both ENDS has a diversity policy, which is taken into account during the recruitment and selection of staff.
- Both ENDS employs people who have been inactive on the labour market for an extended period of time. These staff members, seconded to the organisation by Reïntegratiebedrijf Amsterdam, receive extra coaching.
- Both ENDS has an active volunteer policy.
- Both ENDS is registered at the ECABO knowledge centre as an official work training organisation.
- Both ENDS staff members enjoy considerable flexibility in organising their work and their working conditions.
- Both ENDS guarantees safety on the work floor by ensuring that there are at least three qualified emergency response officers (EROs) who follow a refresher course every year. There is an Automated External Defibrillator in the building. The EROs are trained to use it and give annual instruction to staff.
In 2018, we paid extra attention to cultural diversity in the organisation. Realising that we needed to learn more, we organised several meetings for staff in collaboration with ECHO, an expert organisation on diversity and inclusion, with whom we also work for recruitment of new staff. ECHO made some recommendations to Both ENDS, which we will take up in 2019.
SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY DURING TRAVELS
Both ENDS has a safety and security policy for travelling employees. In addition, there is a Crisis Management Team trained to respond during emergencies. The organisation holds regular evaluation and reflection moments to increase staff awareness of precautionary security measures to take when travelling.
- Both ENDS banks at Triodos Bank, which only does business with organisations that support a healthy natural environment and promote a social economy.
- Both ENDS offers its staff and visitors an organic and vegetarian lunch menu.
- Our cleaning company uses biodegradable cleaning agents and has an ISO environmental certificate.
- Our paper is FSC-certified and we print everything double-sided.
- Both ENDS has 21 solar panels. We use energy-saving lighting and thin client workstations, which use much less energy than conventional computers.
- We recycle our used plastic, paper, glass and batteries. Used printer toners and cartridges are picked up and recycled by Eeko, which donates the proceeds to Stichting Aap, a shelter for non-indigenous animals.
MEANS OF TRANSPORT
- Since much of Both ENDS’s work involves working with partners in the South, we cannot avoid making official trips by air. In line with the policy of our branch organisation, Partos, we use Uniglobe Westland Business Travel as our regular travel agent. Partos took into account the sustainability goals of its members when contracting a travel agency.
- Most of our staff come to work by bicycle; the rest use public transport. We mainly use public transport for work visits in the Netherlands. Cars are rarely used.
- Both ENDS has an agreement with the Accor Group, which offers climate-neutral meeting facilities. Accor hotels are ISO 14001 certified and have a Green Key.
The relationships that Both ENDS has with other parties, such as partners and donors, are very important to us. We strive to treat our contacts with the utmost courtesy and respect. We value their criticism, comments and suggestions. Both ENDS’s complaints procedure is available on our website.
In 2018, we received no complaints.