Social and environmental responsibility
Both ENDS is an organisation that is working towards a sustainable future for our planet. We achieve results in tackling environmental and poverty-related problems and devise alternative solutions. We do this together with strategic networks that also give priority to people and the environment. To achieve our goals, we have set up results-based operational processes that are as sustainable as possible and which we continually aim to improve. For that reason, all our staff must be able to work in a way that has the minimum possible impact on the environment within the organisation’s capacities.
SOCIALLY RESPONSIBLE HUMAN RESOURCES POLICY
- Both ENDS staff determine the success of the organisation. Our human resources policy focuses on flexibility, diversity, security and motivational supervision. Some key points:
- Both ENDS staff members can influence their own activities and achieve their ambitions through their personal annual plan.
- Both ENDS is co-developer of and signatory to the Partos Code of Conduct. The code was drawn up by members of Partos, the sector association for organisations working in international development.
- If Both ENDS staff encounter improper conduct, they can contact the confidential adviser, as specified in the employment regulations.
- Both ENDS has a diversity policy, which is taken into account during the recruitment and selection of staff.
- Both ENDS employs people who have been inactive on the labour market for an extended period of time. These staff members, seconded to the organisation by Reïntegratiebedrijf Amsterdam, receive extra coaching.
- Both ENDS has an active volunteer policy.
- Both ENDS is registered at the ECABO knowledge centre as an official work training organisation.
- Both ENDS’ staff enjoy considerable flexibility in organising their work and their working conditions.
- Both ENDS guarantees safety on the work floor by ensuring that there are at least three qualified emergency response officers (EROs) who follow a refresher course every year. There is an Automated External Defibrillator in the building. The EROs are trained to use it and give annual instruction to staff.
SAFETY AND SECURITY POLICY DURING TRAVELS
In 2017, Both ENDS revised its safety and security policy for travelling employees. In addition, a Crisis Management Team was set up and trained to respond during emergencies. The organisation holds regular evaluation and reflection moments to increase staff awareness of precautionary security measures during travel.
- Both ENDS banks at the Triodos Bank, which only does business with organisations that support a healthy natural environment and promote a social economy.
- Both ENDS offers its staff and visitors an organic and vegetarian lunch menu.
- Our cleaning company uses biodegradable cleaning agents and has an ISO environmental certificate.
- Our paper is FSC-certified and we print everything double sided.
- Both ENDS has 21 solar panels. We use energysaving lighting and thin client workstations, which use much less energy than conventional computers.
- Plastic, paper, glass and batteries are collected separately. Our used printer toners and cartridges are picked up and recycled by Eeko, which donates the proceeds to Stichting Aap, a shelter for non-indigenous animals.
MEANS OF TRANSPORT
- Since much of Both ENDS’ work involves working with partners in the South, we cannot avoid making official trips by air. In line with the policy of our branch organisation Partos, we use UniGlobe Westland as our regular travel agent. Partos took into account the sustainability goals of its members when contracting a travel agency.
- Most of our staff come to work by bicycle; the rest use public transport. We use mainly public transport for work visits in the Netherlands. Cars are rarely used.
- Both ENDS has an agreement with the Accor Group, which offers climate-neutral meeting facilities. Accor hotels are ISO 14001 certified and have a Green Key.
The relationships that Both ENDS develops with other parties such as partners and donors are very important to us and we strive to treat our contacts with the utmost courtesy and respect. We value their criticism, comments and suggestions. Both ENDS’ complaints procedure is available on our website.
In 2017, Both ENDS receivhttp://www.bothends.org/ened a complaint from a JWHI grantee. This grantee had received a confirmation that she had been awarded a grant, but never received further information about the next steps to be taken to receive the grant. It turned out this was due to e-mails that were filed in the spam folder of the JWHI mailbox. In order to prevent problems like these in the future, we have improved the process regarding the finalisation of grants and offered to award the grant after all. The grantee has indicated that the complaint has been handled well and the problem has been solved.