RESPONSIBLE AND TRANSPARANT BEHAVIOUR
Both ENDS values an open and clear policy. This creates clarity for the people and organisations that support us and for the civil society organisations in developing countries which we support.
Both ENDS has signed the following codes of conduct:
• Gedragscode maatschappelijke organisaties op het gebied van natuur, milieu en duurzame ontwikkeling (Code of conduct of (Dutch) civil society organisations active in the field of nature, the environment and sustainable development)
• Partos Gedragscode (Partos Code of Conduct)
The relationships that Both ENDS develops with other parties such as partners and donors are very important to us and we strive to treat our contacts with the utmost courtesy and respect. We value their criticism, comments and suggestions. Both ENDS’ complaints procedure is available on our website. In 2016, Both ENDS did not receive any complaints.
CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY
Both ENDS takes corporate social responsibility seriously and strives to be as sustainable as possible in its operations. All our employees must be able to perform their tasks without harming the environment, and the organisation does the maximum it can reasonably do to accomplish this. This is, among others, reflected in the following measures:
• We have solar panels on the roof of our office, which generate part of our electricity. We use energy-saving light bulbs.
• Paper, glass, plastic and ink cartridges are collected separately for recycling.
• We copy and print everything two-sided and on recycled FSC-certified paper.
• Our cleaning products are eco-friendly and have an eco-label. We have contracted a cleaning company that is ISO 14001 certified and which uses the same products.
• Over half of our employees cycle to work, while all others use public transport. The organisation also offers the option to periodically work from home.
• All Both ENDS’ partners are required to implement the grants they receive in accordance with the 10 principles of the UN Global Compact.
STAFF AND HUMAN RESOURCES
Since Both ENDS is a professional organisation with experienced and skilled employees, we pay attention to personal growth and development, while stimulating self-reliance and autonomy. The goal of our staff policy is to bring out the best in everyone, which, in turn, contributes to achieving the organisation’s goals for 2020.
In addition to our regular employees, several Both ENDS’ staff members work through Amsterdam’s ‘Bureau Werk en Re-integratie’, which outsources individuals who have a distance to the labour market and need intensive coaching. In early 2015, the Ministry of Social Affairs and Employment conducted a review of how businesses and institutions implement the new ‘participation law’ and to what extent they meet the quota for hiring disadvantaged staff. The research concluded that Both ENDS’ commitment to meeting this quota is above average.
VOLUNTEERS AND INTERNS
Both ENDS also works with volunteers and interns. Each of them is matched with the most suitable colleague at Both ENDS who takes responsibility for coaching the intern. We have had a great deal of success coaching trainees and volunteers over the years. Many of them have subsequently found employment within the international development sector, in academia or with the government.
A performance and results-oriented organisation such as Both ENDS needs a stimulating salary system. Employees who are assessed ‘good’ or ‘very good’ in their appraisal, are rewarded. We consider this an appropriate way to acknowledge the role they play in the thematic and institutional growth of Both ENDS.
Both ENDS’ reward system always takes into account the organisation’s current and (medium) long-term financial situation. Internally and externally, the organisation aims to be as transparent as possible about its financial situation and the consequences that might ensue. As a follow-up to the organisational improvement put into motion in 2016, a new remuneration policy will be developed in 2017. It is already clear that financial and other conditions will not change considerably.
Both ENDS meets the ‘Wijffels Code’ (the Dutch code of conduct for good governance of charitable organisations and foundations) and the salary of the director follows the guidelines of the VFI. The board members do not receive any remuneration for serving on the board.